How to Apply
How to get enrolled
1. In order to apply for a position in the Experimental medicine PHD (D-MEM) research program, you must have a second cycle degree, an equivalent qualification, or an equivalent qualification by study level (Master’s Degree) from a foreign University.
2. If you do not have a second cycle degree you can still apply, but admission to the doctoral research program will be completed providing that you will obtain your Master’s Degree or the equivalent qualification within October 31, 2021; if you fail this deadline, you will be excluded from the program.
3. Application for admission: register yourself through the university portal
Login and submit the application carefully following the instructions Please, be aware that to participate to the selection you have to pay non-refundable taxes.
Documents to be included for the selection
A. Diploma Supplement, issued by the University according to European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO/CEPES standards, or degree certificate in Italian or English from your University, including all the exams, the corresponding grades and credits. This document is not required for candidates originating from the University of Milan since it will be acquired internally.
B. CV, describing any professional experience and other qualifications held by the applicant (remember to include your previous research experience, course and meeting participation, oral and poster communications, publications)
C. Research project (using Form 1 available on line).
D. Copy of passport (foreign applicants only).
E. Any publication.
F. Reference letters (form available on line).
How PhD students will be selected
An Examining Committee set up and appointed in compliance with current regulations will carry out the procedure. The committee will mainly evaluate your career, scientific preparation, motivation and soft skills.
1. First evaluation
During this first step, candidates will be evaluated based on their career and the presented project. Each candidate can have a maximum score of 20 points for the career and 10 points for the presented project.
CV remember to include exam grades, past research experience, publications (if any), meeting and courses attendancy (if any), abstracts for oral or poster presentations, language certificates if available.
Research project Please note that this has to be a research project that you feel confident to defend in front of the committee; it does not represent what you will be doing during your 3 years of PhD. It can be the logic follow up of your previous research experience or what you would like to study.
2. Second evaluation
Candidates that obtained at least 15 points in the first evaluation step will be admitted to an oral interview with the PhD examination board. This second evaluation will add a maximum of 70 points. Interview will be on-line exclusively.
You will be evaluated for:
• Your scientific preparation and capacity to defend your previous work or project
• Communication skills, team working, problem solving
3. Admission to the program.
9 positions are available for this cycle
Applicants are admitted to the program according to their position in the ranking list until the number of places available has been filled.
Following the ranking list, each «winner» will have to select a specific research project and the associated tutor.
Each project can be selected only by one PhD student; this is the reason why you want to possibly have more than one option. Start to look at the projects in advance and possibly contact the proposing tutors in order to understand whether you are really interested in the project and the associated scientific environment.
Students coming from abroad can enter in the program even later providing that they entered in the admitted list. However, they will have to obtain from a funding agency a dedicated fellowship.